Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What'll you have, honey?....

A few years ago, I was watching a program on one of the food channels and one of those celebrity chefs (I think it was Bobby Flay) did a program on the best cheeseburgers in America. He also included cheesesteaks and hoagies. He traveled around to several cities where there were restaurants or diners that had legendary cheeseburgers. I thought "how cool would that be" to travel around and try different versions of my most favored food (cheeseburgers, I mean). Now I have the time and the excuse to travel around. The irony of the situation is that my cardiologist has now told me that I must not eat red meat anymore. Major BUMMER!

No red meat means that your choices in most American restaurants below the level of "fine dining" are pretty limited. Chicken, turkey, fish and vegy. In my experience, each place has only one or two choices, certainly not one in each category. I have never liked vegy or fish, so that further restricts my choices. I tried very hard to convince my cardiologist that pork is the other white meat, but he is not buying it.

So, for the last two months I have avoided red meat. I've been pretty good about it, having fallen off the wagon only 3 times in the two months.

I've been thinking I would provide reviews of food along the way on this blog, so I will be seeking the best "non-red meat" items and writing about them. I think that I will rate the places we eat on a couple of criteria. One: how much non-red meat variety there is on the menu and of course, how good is the item that I choose.

I know that my friend Laurence (a major non-any kind of meat guy) is laughing at me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment